Thursday, August 23, 2007

Forward to Tanzania!

I could live in Amsterdam... easily. It's beautiful, cultured, cafe's are ubiquitous and so are the coffee shops for that matter (that's where you can buy weed and other drugs... not that I have visited one), and you can get on quite well with English here. Then there is the socialized medicine and humane euthanasia practices too.

I read a an article by someone of the police force in a tourist magazine in which the writer offered tips on how recover if one takes too much weed or what they call here "smart" drugs (LSD, mushroom, etc.). The advice was to drink lots of water and eat sweet things.

Oddly enough, with all the cycles out and about, no one wears helmets. Many people ride with their babies and toddlers on the front and back seats...all of course without helmets. A cab driver said that the Dutch cyclists don't have accidents, only the foreigners do. Of course their are great cyclist lanes too.

I have been walking around enjoying the architecture and shops and buying supplies for my teaching gig in TZ. My big coup was a functioning CD player for 6 Euros that I got at a flea market. I haven't found any thrift stores here, but happily there are lots of outdoor fleamarkets, so you know I am having fun. I bought a bunch of CDs as well and batteries too in case there is no electricity available in the classroom in TZ. All in all I'm psyched about getting there.

There is a great movie theater down the street from my hotel which I have been frequenting lately. I saw "Becoming Jane" which I loved and "A death at a Funeral" which was silly-funny but good too. I recommend both.

Okay, I am running out of time of this computer. I will post again from Africa.

No comments: