Sunday, August 12, 2007

Farewell Turkey


Well, today is our last full day in Turkey. We are going to miss the beauty of Istanbul, the wonderful food and people, but not the HEAT! It's boiling now during the day with too few breezes, happily however, evening always carry a cool breeze around so there is always relief in sight. Our friends Aziz and Jamila from Monterey arrived three days ago and we have been having a jollly time with them. Our hotels are within walking distance of each other which is makes visiting and touring very nice. Last night we went to a show at a dinner club, with belly dancers, folk dancers, and sword throwers. Ali, ever the good sport, participated in a number of on stage activities, the most hilarious of which is when he concented to an act in which several men hurled knives at a board balanced on his stomach. He achieved celebrity status at the club after this last feat.

I got my assignment in Tanzania! I will be working in a small rural high school with a staff of six and around 60 students. I will be assisting in the classroom and conducting English classes. It's a relief that my assignment is in a high school, because although I love children, I have very little experience teaching them. My school is simpley called St. Teresa's School. Some of the students are AIDS orphans and the rest are just poor kids. They say there is a CD player at the school, so when I get to Amsterdam I'll buy some cd for them. I was thinking of that progressive rapper, Kanye West (I think that's his name) and Aziz and Jamila say that Michael Jackson is popular in Morocco, so maybe I'll get one his cds. Ali suggested Stevie Wonder. Any other suggtestions out there?

Ali will be taking the lap top to Morocco, so I don't think I will be able to post photos anymore until I get to Morocco myself in November, but I will be able to post messages regularly so stay tuned. I probably wont' be making any more posts until I get to Tanzania on August 25, so don't bother checking in until then.

Gulegule for now.

No comments: