Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Volunteering in Tanzania

CCS brings in new groups of volunteers each month and volunteers stay for varying lengths of time. A large group left on Saturday, and, saddly, I lost some of my favorite people. Now we are a group of about ten and life has quieted down a bit. We all fit in one van to go to our placements each day and it is a lot easier planning trips to town with a smaller group.

I and one other person (a teacher from Canada) are working at the secondary school. Others work at preschools and primary schools, orphanages, health clinics and hospitals. One placement is in a nursery at a nearby prison. The prison guards and other staff and their families live on the prison property, and there is a day care center for the children of prison workers. This is considered a minimum security prison (petty crimes include defaulting on debts or taxes) and the prisoners are seen working the numerous gardens on the property in their bright orange jumpsuits. Sometimes they even help out at the nursery.

We work in the morning, come home for lunch and then organize afternoon activities. I have been walking into town in the afternoons. It takes about an hour, is good exercise, and provides me an opportunity to see what is around in my area and meet people in the community. Tomorrow we are going to an NGO that works with HI/AIDS to learn more about the epidemic here. And we also are planning a visit to Arusha to visit an ex-Black Panther who operates art program for youth. Next week I will stay at school in the afternoons one day a week and I have arranged to have a French tutor two afternoons a week to brush up on my French. One of the women from my school will join me in the class, and possibly a fellow-volunteer (Monica).

The struggles that people face here to overcome obstacles brought on by poverty are the most difficult aspect of my work here. Only 12% of the population has electricity and less than that own phones, and access to clean water or water in general is a major problem here. The need is great here and we are often asked to help out monetarily. I have been asked by three students this week to sponsor them by paying their school fees so that they can continue their educations. Their stories are heartbreaking to hear. At the same time there are many good people doing inspirational work to alleviate poverty and illness here, and that sustains everyone I think. We focus on the good work rather than the difficulties. That's the best way to manage.

Tomorrow I will go on a field visit with a woman’s organization here to meet women who have started micro-businesses. We will also attend a birthday celebration of a woman who is 102!

No comments: